Sunday, June 12, 2011

Better and Cheaper

In 1979, the cost of a ticket from Bombay to Houston was $1000 (one way) (I will assume that the round trip cost would have been about the same, just a bit higher, I'll say $1200). Using this site
http://www.minneapolisfed.org/ I calculated what the $1200 in 1979 would be in 2011 dollars (adjusted for inflation) - and I got $3684. The actual cost of a ticket (round trip) in 2011 is between $1600 to $1800 in the summer and higher during winter times ($2500 or s0). Thus, an airline ticket in 2011 between India and the US is about HALF as it was in 1979 (best case) or about 30% SMALLER ...

So, things are getting better and cheaper ...

(Why? One may ask ... Better materials of construction for engines, body of plane - higher fuel efficiencies, better engines!)

No comments:

Post a Comment